Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Spices for breast cancer prevention

When I started looking into way to fend off another recurrence, I was intrigued by the use of spices to enhance nutritional value of meals. Some herbs such as Turmeric are well known, but I wanted to know what else was out there that I could grow and use. Turmeric by the way if you do not know, is a powerful antiinflammatory. I like it, but one can only eat it so often and still be a happy person. So what else did I find that I like? Here is a list:

Turmeric      -antiinflammatory
Mint             -blocks cancer cells from spreading
Thyme         -blocks cancer cell from spreading
Marjoram    -blocks cancer cells from spreading
Oregano      -blocks cancer cells from spreading
Basil            -blocks cancer cells from spreading
Rosemary    -blocks cancer cells from spreading
Parsley        -inhibits  blood vessels from forming on tumors, strong anti-oxidant
Celery         -inhibits blood vessels from forming on tumors
Ginger         -inhibits blood vessels from forming on tumors, strong anti-oxidant
Garlic          -blocks cancer cells from multiplying
Onion          -blocks cancer cells from multiplying
Saffron        -inhibits blood vessels fro forming on tumors
Clove           -antiinflammatory, anti oxidant
Cinnamon    -stabilizes blood sugar
Chili             -antiinflammatory

Now, this is not a complete list. These are just the ones I have incorporated into my diet. Each one can be googled along with the word cancer and you will have plenty to read and learn about each one. I learned a few things that are interesting in addition to the list. For example,  some of them work even better when used together. Turmeric and black pepper for example seem to enhance the positive properties of each other. Garlic and onion should be cut and left to sit before using. It takes a few minutes for the chemicals that are most beneficial to come out after cutting.

Well, that is enough for one day, as this list will keep you busy. If anyone wants me to post a few recipes to demonstrate how I might use these  just ask. In the mean time, if you want to learn more about this Sloan-Kettering has a nice page on this topic. Here is a link:
http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/about-herbs

Next Post: Cruciferous veggies- what the heck are they and what do they do for breast cancer?

1 comment: