Friday, December 23, 2011

I always thought If I got breast cancer I would just get a mastectomy.

When I was diagnosed in January of 2009 with Invasive Lobular breast cancer I did what I had always said I would. I had a double mastectomy. I was very naive and thought that would be the end of breast cancer risk for me.  It was a tall price to pay but the peace of mind it gave me was worth it. I did not do chemo or radiation as my tumor was only 1 centimeter in size. I improved my diet, my life and joined a forum that focused on natural means of cancer prevention. I was a good student and had very good self discipline. I felt lucky, and also a bit smug, like I had dodged a bullet. Recurrence rates were said to be about 1% after a double mastectomy. I knew it would not happen to me.

Much to my shock, 11 months later I found a lump in my near arm pit. A biopsy revealed that it was indeed a local recurrence. I was told that as much as they try, the surgeons never get 100% of the breast tissue during a mastectomy. It was a hard pill to swallow, looking at my chest which was now concave with huge scars. This time the cancer was less than one centimeter. I had it surgically removed and did 4 courses of Chemo. I opted out of radiation as I thought with this tiny tumor, radiation might be over kill. I was trying to take care of the cancer with as little damage to the rest of me as possible.

8 months later my worst nightmare came true when I found another lump hiding in my arm pit.

The reason I decided to write about this is because I don't want anyone else to be as naive as I was when first diagnosed. A mastectomy certainly does not guarantee that you will not have a recurrence. You must stay diligent and do exams on yourself daily. I have two doctors who did not find my lumps during examinations. Neither did they show up on mammogram or thermagram.

The best way to tell if your breasts have a problem? Check um!



Tomorrow: There are several types of chemo for breast cancer. How I made my decisions.

4 comments:

  1. You are Beast! All women need to share their journey to help the rest of us make better decisions about our health, our love, and our life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Benne

    There far too many women with this disease,
    2.5 million in the United States. Right now one in eight women will hear the dreaded words "It's breast Cancer." Caught early, survival rates are very good. Information is power and power increases survival odds. This blog is about survival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merilee, I am so sorry you've had to go through this. It is wonderful of you to share your experience and knowledge with this nightmare so others can benefit.

    I was fortunate in '98 when something that showed every indication of being inflammatory breast cancer turned out not to be. I will never forget that fear ~ and that relief.

    Obviously, this blog will be about survival, because you've fought this wretched beast 3X and you're alive and kicking. Good for you. And again, thank you.

    Now I'm off to do ... um, you know, the CHECK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynett

    Thanks for posting. I am very happy to hear that your experience in 98 turned out well.
    About 80% of all call backs after a mammogram turn out to be nothing. Its that darn other 20% that is so frightening. Check um and check um again!

    ReplyDelete