Wednesday, December 28, 2011

No hair, no boobs, where is my feminine?

I think people are naturally curious. Most are also very gracious. When my hair was gone, and I would run into people who did not know I was on chemo, not one person dared mention my hair loss. I think for some, it was just to much reality, for others it elicited a fear that many woman have. The fear  that they themselves  may one day have to endure the side effects of cancer treatment.  One devistating side affect  is hair loss, another is often the loss of one or both breasts.

I remember getting out of the shower bald and breastless one day. I caught a glimpse of myself in the misty mirror. For just a moment I could see myself as a ghost. It was eerie and I said out loud " Holy shit Mer, you are beat up. " I replied to the ghost in the mirror " but I'm still standing mother fucker!"

I realized that I had picked up the sailor language of my late brother who recently passed away from cancer. I laughed out loud and thanked him for inspiring toughness in me as a child sibling. I also notice just how much I looked like him, without my breasts and hair.

I have always been a bit of a tom boy but this day, I felt like I was genderless. Just some creature transitioning through this world. I realized that much of what makes a woman feel feminine had been taken from me by the beast. Cancer has a way of stripping you down to your essence, which I found has very little to do with hair and boobs. Loosing my hair and breasts was humbling beyond words. No one ever thinks that such extreme things will happen to them and when you are wrong,  it is indeed traumatizing.

Trauma changes your perspective and deepens your thoughts about the way you spend  your life.  I have always been  a nurturer and have mothered many kids in addition to my own. My favorite role in life is that of mother. The thought of my children being orphans  strikes a raw nerve in me that makes me cry every time I think of it. It also motivates me to work hard at wellness. It was key in my decision to take a sabbatical from work and try to tweak out a life that is more in keeping with my feminine motherly instincts. They say that when a person looses one of their senses, that the others perk up and make up for it. I dare say, that loosing some of the aspects of my femininity to the beast, has most definitely perked my mothering instincts. I have also learned that darkness is always balanced with light. This, I love.



Tomorrow: The side affect no one talks about, "chemo brain"

2 comments:

  1. Truly touching but raw, thank you Merilee, love Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Maria, thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete