Thursday, December 29, 2011

Chemo Brain- What is it?

 Here is a good clinical definition:

By Mayo Clinic staff
Chemo brain is a common term used by cancer survivors to describe thinking and memory problems that can occur after cancer treatment. Chemo brain can also be called chemo fog, cognitive changes or cognitive dysfunction.
Though chemo brain is a widely used term, it's misleading. It's not yet clear that chemotherapy is the cause of concentration and memory problems in cancer survivors. And many cancer survivors with memory problems still score well on cognitive tests, leaving doctors wondering whether chemo brain really exists.
Despite the many questions, it's clear that the memory problems commonly called chemo brain can be a frustrating and debilitating side effect of cancer and its treatment. More study is needed to understand this condition.

Signs and symptoms of chemo brain may include:
  • Being unusually disorganized

  • Confusion

  • Difficulty concentrating

  • Difficulty finding the right word

  • Difficulty learning new skills

  • Difficulty multitasking

  • Fatigue

  • Feeling of mental fogginess

  • Short attention span

  • Short-term memory problems

  • Taking longer than usual to complete routine tasks

  • Trouble with verbal memory, such as remembering a conversation

  • Trouble with visual memory, such as recalling an image or list of words

  • Signs and symptoms of cognitive or memory problems vary from person to person and are typically temporary, often subsiding within two years of completion of cancer treatment.

    Some addtional things I experienced include the following:

    Black outs during active chemo and for a few days after, repeating myself because I could not remember what I had said previously, and forgetting conversations I had with family. I also experienced extreme dizziness and found my face on the cement sidewalk outside my house, without being able to recall how I fell. I could not remember my birthday, my age,  the name of my doctor, the name of the clinic, nor the names of any one I met while high on chemo. I also got lost driving more than once in my home town.

    It's been 6 months since my last chemo and my brain if just now waking up. I still struggle with spacial and short term memory, but my focus is much improved. When I asked the oncology staff why I was not told about these side effects the response was, because not everyone gets them. I was aghast that I was not better prepared for such extreme side effects. Knowing  that I could continue to have symptoms up to two years has me a little freaked out,  but everyday I work on improving my brain.

    People often think that once a patient is finished with the poison hell called chemo, and there is no other cancer detected, that the ordeal is over. I am here to tell you that is not true. It is a long road out of purgatory, and the exit doors are aflame. They make you stand in them for about 30 days before they let you out.

    Tomorrow: Radiation therapy, a month of sadistic torture

    4 comments:

    1. One thing I noticed about you during this time period is that if you were really angry or super fearful about a subject/theme, you were perfectly clear in all respects. I noticed this with head trauma clients I worked with as well. The emotionality of the conversation triggers a different part of the brain, making it possible to be fully functioning - no difficulty retrieving words or creating coherent and complex thoughts.

      ReplyDelete
    2. That is a very interesting observation. I have always been facinated with the brain/emotion connection. Like when a woman holds her baby and the brain releases chemicals to make her feel good. All moms know this feeling. Research has shown that those chemicals can also be released by simply thinking about holding your baby once you have had the real experience. I have used the thought more times than I can count.

      ReplyDelete
    3. ... and don't forget getting the kitten! That was powerful mojo for you and Lew.

      ReplyDelete
    4. You are so right Benne, my Chemo kitty Shaman has been as good a healer as my doctors :)
      By my side every minute, standing by with purrs and a sweet greeting ready for me at all times. And to think he was a cast away, someone really missed out by getting rid of him.

      ReplyDelete