Monday, December 26, 2011

Common chemo therapy drugs for breast cancer

When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer I was suddenly faced with making some very serious decisions about which treatments I would select. The amount of information was very overwhelming and most of it written in giant scientific terms that made it hard to understand. This post will simplify the common drugs and discuss the decision making process. Most of them are called by the first initial of their name and will be administered in a variety of cocktails ( more than one at once).
Here is a list:
A: Adriamycin
C: Cytoxin
E: Ellence
F: Flurouracil
M: Methotrexate
T: Taxane

Common cocktails are: AC, TC, TAC, AT, CAF, CMF, EC, FEC

The reason these are used in combos is because each one combats cancer in a different way, and it is believed wise to hit it from several approaches at once. Most times the decision of which cocktail has two factors. The effectiveness of that cocktail, with your type of diagnosis, are weighed against the side effects. Each drug has its own set of dangers, so it is not an easy decision. I would encourage anyone facing these decisions to look up each drug and make some notes. Spend some time thinking about it before you just commit. For example, Adriamycin is known for is high risk of heart damage, yet it is highly effective.

The first time I did chemo I chose CMF mainly based on the fact that this combo is a bit milder than the others and with stage one, I figured good enough. Plus, the chances of loosing my hair with this combo was significantly less that with the others. I was scared to death of loosing my hair.

When I had a second recurrence I was really terrified that the first chemo had not worked and told the oncologist to pull out the big cannons. I decided on the Taxotere and Cytoxin combo. About the strongest combo you can get.
I almost died of the side effects after the first dose, and I did loose my hair.

Tomorrow: I will write about what it was like when I lost my hair. That experience held a secret gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment